History of the Library
- The Monroeville Public Library was formed in November of 1936 as a branch of the Willard Public Library. It remained a branch for three years and then seperated to become its own entity in 1939. The Library celebrated 50 years of existence in 1986.
- The Monroeville Public Library is a school district library governed by a Board of Trustees, consisting of seven members appointed by the Monroeville School Board. The original library was housed in the town hall untill December 2, 1946 when the structure burned. It was then housed in the Mrs. M.L. Hindley home until March of 1949 when they moved to the present site and shared the building with the Ridgefield Township.
- In August 1, 1958 a new 12'x36' wing opened. This was made possible by the generosity of villagers and businesses. In 1985 a bond issue passed and in 1986 the old building was demolished and a new library building 40'wide x 55' deep with a total of 2,200 sq.ft. was constructed at a cost of $184,715.00. On Novemeber 3, 1992 through the generosity of Monroeville taxpayers a bond issue was again passed to add an addition of 1,830 sq. ft. to the library making the present building a total of 4,030 sq. ft. This addition was done at a cost of $177,282.55. In 2011 the library celebrated its 75th anniversary with much support from the community.